Posted on: Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reverb 10: Beautifully Different.

Prompt: Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.

I actually had to ask for help on this one. That's sad, isn't it? And I'm still stuck. Seriously, I opened this window five minutes ago and then went off to do other important things, like check my email and chat on Facebook.

Why am I so averse to writing about myself? I mean, I'm good at writing about the THINGS in my life, the circumstances, the people. But not me. It always feels so...self-indulgent...to say anything about myself, to make bold, declarative statements about who I am. Who am I to say anything about me is different or special? I feel like the second I say something about what makes me different, someone else can pop and say, "Actually, I'm like that, too. I have that." And the "lights people up" part of the prompt...? Can I say that I do that? I feel like I can't. I just don't know. I'm doubtful.

Somehow I'm convinced that this lies at the heart of the Thing Which Is Holding Me Back from all the things I want. The thing that makes me different from those who can take a look at what they want in life, then actually just GO AND GET IT, like it's that easy. I just don't really believe, deep down, that I have anything beautiful or different or illuminating to offer the world. And I feel like I need to - HAVE to - get past that.

The friend I asked for help on this prompt said that the fact that I seek out lovely things the way that I do makes me "beautifully different."

But....I don't know. I'm going to have to keep thinking about this.

What about you......what makes YOU beautifully different? Help me figure out the right way to think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg