Posted on: Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Maybe some good stuff will happen.

I've been down a rabbit hole of self-improvement links lately, all of them SO inspiring and motivating. It occurred to me that it would be helpful to have them all in one place.

It started at Reverb 10, where a group of well-known bloggers/media people offered writing prompts for every day in December. These prompts are focused on reflection, self-discovery, and cultivating a vision for what you want the new year to look like.

That led me to Gwen Bell's blog, and in particular, her post on creating a personal manifesto. I love the idea of vision mapping, and I really loved this:

"In closing, let's think for a moment about separating productivity from creativity. When it comes to doing life vision work, I find it helpful to separate the two. I am not trying to "be productive" when goal-setting. I'm working in a creative space and I'm not filtering. For instance, you may have observed that one item on my life list is to have a building named after me - at a higher education institution. Two things I don't do - I don't filter myself "oh, that will never happen, you crazy loon." And two - I don't go into productivity mode "oh, what's the first step I need to take to have a building named after me?" Both lines of thought distract you from the task at hand - really questioning what you want to do with this one precious life you have."

I also came across Chris Guillebeau's blog, The Art of Non-Conformity. He's got a ton of great stuff, but I'm most inspired to tackle "How to Conduct Your Own Annual Review."

As always, Dallas Clayton's site is a wealth of inspiration for a unique and fresh view on the world. He's posted a few things recently that I love:

Five Things. ("Today I’m going to think about five things I learned last year. Small things, big things, things of real value, skills, points of view, exercises, facts – whatever they may be I’m going to choose my five favorites. I’m going to write them down and use them as my reference card for the new year. Whenever I have any down time or if I’m ever at a loss or lacking clarity as to which direction to head I’m going to reference those five things.")

Good Odds.

Leaping.

Finally, "Allowing Dreams" by Susannah Conway. She says:
"What i'm starting to grasp is that this is it – this is my life – so why not have some fun with it? View it as a malleable batch of bread dough and see what shapes i can create. Because no one else is going to do it for me, and, heck, maybe some good stuff will happen."

(Click the pic to embiggen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg