Posted on: Thursday, August 16, 2012

A collection of lovely things.

The sky drapes like a gray canopy and billows in the wind. The rain doesn't fall. (It's not going to.)
This is a lovely thing. That smell wafting from the ground is called petrichor. I call it earth and minerals, a vital essence. I tell the girls to inhale it deeply. We talk about thunder, how it can be nice and comforting when it's quiet. They see that, I think. Madeleine wants to know if lightning can be comforting. It depends on you, I told her. Do you like it? I think, she nods. As long as I'm not outside. That's good.

::


So when people say “I’m not doing anything with my life,” what I hear is “I’m not doing anything of value with my life….when I think of the value that I appreciate and that I create…what matters to me most is how much I love people, and how much the people that I love love me.


::


"Oh hello/Will you be mine/I haven't felt this alive in a long time/All the streets are warm and gray/I read the signs/I haven't been this in love in a long time/The sun is up, the sun will stay/All for the new day."

::

"How strange and how lovely it is to be anything at all." -- John Green

::

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." -- from "The Twits" by Ronald Dahl.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. Now I shall look up petrichor. I did not know it had a name!!! Your kids are so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg